2021 AB Cup Chinese Speech Contest for Foreigners
To help Harbin’s economic and social development, attract and encourage foreign investors to come to Harbin for business and investment, create quality city business soft environment, promote the internationalization of the city, the “2021 AB Cup Chinese Speech Contest for Foreigners” hosted by the Translators Association of Harbin, organised by the Foreign Affairs Office of Harbin Municipal People’s Government and exclusively sponsored by Harbin Budweiser Urban Development Foundation, jointly organized by Harbin Enterprise and Investment Service Bureau, Harbin Culture, Radio, Television and Tourism Bureau, Harbin Economic Development Zone and other units, has started in February 2021. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus epidemic, the competition will be conducted online. The specific plan is as follows:
The competition is divided into three stages, namely preliminary, semi-final and final. Due to the impact of the epidemic, the online selection was adopted in the preliminary and semi-finals of this competition, and the final is to be determined.
I. Entry rules
The competition is aimed at foreigners working, studying and living or used to be in China.
2. The preliminary
The preliminary competition will start in February 2021. The participants are required to describe the city in their eyes in Chinese, tell stories of Harbin, Harbin cuisine, Harbin history and so on, with positive contents, positive energy, to promote the Chinese culture and Harbin image. Contestants are required to independently shoot a video in Chinese for no more than 3 minutes before May 31, 2021 and send it to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Name + passport + phone + school/work address/home address. 20 members will be selected by the organizing committee for the semi-final and final.
3. The semi
With the theme of “Beer Culture Differences between China and Foreign countries” and “Together with ‘Ha’ Beer”, the speech of the semi will talk about the Chinese beer you have drunk and the beer of your hometown in Chinese, and share the differences between them. The video will be recorded for about 3 minutes and sent to the mailbox of the organizing committee before June 30, 2021. The results are given by the jury and taken into the final round.
4. The final
Affected by the epidemic, we have prepared three plans for the final (please pay close attention to the final implementation plan of WeChat public number of the Translators Association of Harbin).
Plan 1 (If the epidemic is over, all contestants can reach the final)
The Final is scheduled on July 30, 2021 in Harbin beer museum, a speech titled “How to improve the investment and business environment in Harbin”, “How to promote the foreigners living environment in Harbin”,”The Chinese economy in your eyes”,”The change of the Chinese economy brings to the world” and so on, the contestants choose any topic in it with a Chinese speech. At that time, the jury will judge each award winner based on the combined performance of the semi-final and the final. After the competition, we will arrange all the contestants to visit the enterprises in the development zone. At the same time, we will hold a sodality party for foreigners in Harbin Museum and a buffet meeting to introduce local products.
Option 2 (if the live final cannot be held due to the epidemic)
Final is scheduled on July 30, 2021 at the Internet “cloud” final, speech titled “How to improve the investment and business environment in Harbin”, “How to promote the foreigners living environment in Harbin”,”The Chinese economy in your eyes”,”The change of the Chinese economy brings to the world” and so on, the contestants choose any topic in it with a Chinese speech. A panel of judges will conduct a one-to-one video link with the finalists, and the winners will be selected based on their combined performance in the semi-final and final. To ensure fairness and justice, the whole competition is recorded and videotaped. The award ceremony, fellowship meeting and buffet meeting to introduce local products will be held at another date according to the degree of recovery of the epidemic.
Option 3 (Unable to hold the live final due to the epidemic)
The final will be held after the recovery of the epidemic. The topic of the speech is “How to improve the investment and business environment in Harbin”, “How to promote the foreigners living environment in Harbin”,”The Chinese economy in your eyes”,”The change of the Chinese economy brings to the world” and so on, the contestants choose any topic in it with a Chinese speech. At that time, the jury will judge each award winner based on the combined performance of the semi-final and the final. After the competition, we will arrange all the contestants to visit the enterprises in the development zone. At the same time, we will hold a sodality party for foreigners in Harbin Museum and a buffet meeting to introduce local products.
II. Grading standards
1. Speech content: 40 points. The content should be closely related to the theme, the case should be distinct and profound, the style should be positive, the language should be natural and fluent, and full of real feelings.
2. Language: 30 points. Required unscripted speech, standard Mandarin, loud, clear, appropriate speed of speech, fluent expression.
3. Appearance: 20 points. The requirement dress is neat, appearance is generous, behavior is natural, action is appropriate.
4. Comprehensive impression: 10 points. The judges will make a comprehensive evaluation according to the performance of the contestants.
II. The scoring method
1. The highest and lowest scores are removed from each of the judges’ scores, and the arithmetic mean of the remaining judges’ scores is taken as the final score of the contestant.
2. Each player’s competition time is limited to 3 minutes, 2 points will be deducted if the time exceeds 1 minute, 5 points will be deducted if the time exceeds 2 minutes, and the maximum is 5 points. If the time is less than 3 minutes, 2 points will be deducted if the time is 1 minute less than the schedule time, 5 points will be deducted if the time is 2 minutes less than the schedule time , and 5 points will be deducted at the highest.
3. According to the original above 3 index are marked normally first, if the contestants have timeout or inadequacy circumstance, deduct in comprehensive impression.
IV. Awards setting
First prize: RMB 5,000 yuan
Second prize: RMB 3,000 yuan
Third prize: RMB 2,000 yuan
Each contestant will receive a souvenir award!
Due to the epidemic situation, if there is any change in the time of entry, please refer to the time announced by the WeChat public account of the Translators Association of Harbin.
Contact: Tang WenWen
Contact number: 0451-84838198/18686736568
Address: Room 101, Yingbin Building, Youyi Palace, No. 263 Youyi Road, Daoli District, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China